top of page

Rocks Hat Trick Leads To 3-0 Shutout of Binghamton

NEW YORK – On a rain soaked pitch at Rocco B. Commisso Soccer Stadium, Kynan Rocks recorded his first career hat trick and the Columbia men's soccer team posted 3-0 a shutout over Binghamton. "We have a lot of new guys that you got to see tonight and it's a new season for us," said head coach Kevin Anderson. "During the process we talk about continuing to develop and grow as a team, build chemistry, and tonight you saw what a little bit of time does for groups when they have it." In the first half of action, Columbia drew a corner kick, which Francisco Agrest drove into the box. After the ensuing scrum, the ball came out near the 18 to the right foot of Dylan Mott. The senior sent a volley towards the net, which deflected off the chest of Rocks for his first goal of the season in the 24th minute. Later in the half, Binghamton was set up on their side of the field with a free kick, which goalkeeper Dylan Castanheirahandled in the box. The senior quickly rolled the ball out to Vana Markarian, who flipped the field with a long ball to a streaking Rocks. After beating his defender, Rocks went 1-on-1 with the goalkeeper, sending a shot past him just below the crossbar and making it a 2-0 match. Binghamton had two looks later in the half, but one shot went wide and the other sailed high as the Lions would hold a two-score lead at the break. The first shot of the second half would be another Columbia goal. The Lions gained possession near the midfield, with Blake Willis taking the ball up the left side. He then found rookie Sebastian Gunbeyi near the top of the box, who then one-touched to the senior. Rocks then finished again from the left side, sending his teammates down on the sideline for a celebration in the rain. "We had a tough three games away so to come home and put in a very good performance makes me delighted to get the win," said Rocks. Mott, Markarian, Willis, and Gunbeyi all added their first assists of the season in the win, while Castanheira and the back line kept the Bearcats in check, as the senior keeper posted a pair of saves in the shutout. The hat trick for Rocks was Columbia's second in as many home matches, as Arthur Bosua '18CC scored four goals in the home season finale of 2017. "We've had an up-and-down couple of first games but the guys have been working hard in the back, putting their bodies on the line, so it was only a matter of time before we got our first shutout and I'm really happy about it," said Castanheira. Columbia goes back on the road for its next five matches, starting with a trip to Monmouth at 7:00 p.m. on Friday night.

Featured Posts
Recent Posts
Search By Tags
Follow Us
  • Facebook Basic Square
  • Twitter Basic Square
  • Google+ Basic Square
bottom of page