top of page

Women's Soccer Draws Drexel In Season Opener

PHILADELPHIA, Pa. – A first half score on the road from the Columbia women's soccer team was equalized in the second half by Drexel, as the Lions take home a draw in their first match of the season. In the 13th minute, Columbia broke through, finding the net for the first time this season. After Stephanie Shin won a ball in the midfield, Mallaika Tomar collected the pass and sent a forward ball to Emma Anderson, who had position on the central defender. Anderson fended off the defender, made a move to her right, then chipped a shot over the head of Drexel's Libby Baeza that made its way inside the far corner post for the score. Despite the first half goal, the Dragons would keep the pressure on Columbia goalkeeper Sophie Whitehouse, sending in four shots on goal which were all saved from the senior. The Lions were unable to get off another shot in the first after the Anderson goal, as the visiting team went into the half with a 1-0 edge. Just over two minutes in to the second half, Anderson sent off her third shot on goal of the contest, but Baeza was there for the save. Even with the lead, the Columbia offense was able to keep the pressure on, with a pair of shots by Cayla Davis, one from Emily Koe, and another from Anderson all in the first 13 minutes of the second frame. The Dragons however would settle in and capitalize on a chance of their own, when Shaelyn McCarty broke through in the 79th minute and slid one past Whitehouse to even the score at 1-1. Columbia had its chances in the closing moments of regulation, but a shot by Jessica Schildkraut was saved from Baeza, while attempts from Jordyn Geller and Anderson in the closing seconds were blocked and high, sending the match into extra time. Drexel kept the pressure on in the first overtime, with a pair of attempts to Whitehouse which were both saved by the senior. Neither team was able to add anything to the scoreboard in the first overtime, sending the match into a final 10-minute period. With just over two minutes left in the final overtime frame, Geller had a nice look from the left side, but Baeza was there to knock away a far-corner attempt and keep the match tied. Drexel went back the other way and had a free kick from midfield which Whitehouse eventually got her hands on. In the closing seconds, Geller again had a look at net from the left side, but this attempt went just left of the post and out of bounds as the time ticked away for a tie. The Lions now sit at 0-0-1 with Fordham (0-2-0) visiting Rocco B. Commisso Soccer Stadium on Sunday at 2:00 p.m., while the Dragons move to 0-1-2 in 2018. POST MATCH NOTES - Three Lions took part in their first career starts, including sophomore Jordyn Geller, and rookies Jessica Schildkraut and Kayla Lee. Also seeing their first collegiate action were first-year's Kathryn Coritz and Mallaika Tomar. - Emma Anderson's goal was her first of the season and 21st in her career, as she sits in eighth place for goals in the program record book. - Sophie Whitehouse matched a career high with nine saves, equaling the output from the season-opening draw against Hofstra from 2017. - The draw marks the second straight season-opening tie for Columbia, who has three draws in their past five inaugural matches. - The Lions are now 1-0-1 all-time against Drexel, pairing today's result with an 8-0 victory from 1994. - Columbia is now 0-0-1 on the season and in overtime matches, after going 2-1-1 last season in overtime.

Print Friendly Version

Featured Posts
Recent Posts
Search By Tags
Follow Us
  • Facebook Basic Square
  • Twitter Basic Square
  • Google+ Basic Square
bottom of page