Men's Soccer Battles to 0-0 Draw at No. 23 Cortland

ORTLAND, N.Y. – The Ithaca College men's soccer team battled the No. 23 Cortland Red Dragons to a 0-0 draw on Tuesday night under the lights. For the second game in a row, the Bombers found themselves in a tied game at the end of regulation, forcing overtime. In both overtime periods, Ithaca's defense and goalie Max Lichtenstein were front and center. Cortland controlled much of the play and registered four shots in the first overtime along with two shots and two corners in the second period. Ithaca's defense came up with several game-saving plays in both overtimes. In the first period, with 16 seconds left, Cortland was making an offensive push but Jake Keller's shot was blocked by a Justinian Michaels. In similar fashion, an Ithaca defender blocked another Keller shot with just 45 seconds left in the game to preserve the draw. "Overall, we were exceptionally pleased with the commitment and work-rate of our group tonight," said Head Coach Kyle Dezotell. "Taking on one of the best teams in the country on the road in our third game in five days is a tall task. Our players really dug in and grinding out a result collectively." Play between the Bombers and the Red Dragons began evenly, as both teams registered just three shots apiece in the first half. Cortland's first real chance was in the 17th minute of play, when Keller sent a shot to the goal, but Lichtenstein came up with the save. In the 20th minute, Anthony Ruggiero once again tested Lichtenstein, who stopped the shot. Then Ruggiero, in the 27th minute, had a breakaway. Lichtenstein came out of goal to head it off, and Ruggiero got the shot off, but it sailed wide and to the right. IC's Nate Schoen recorded the first shot for the Bombers in the 30th minute of play, but a Cortland defender blocked the attempt. Drew Cohn registered his first of two shots in the 38th minute, which went high. Following an IC corner kick, Cohn got off another shot in the 44th minute, which Cortland goalie Sean Kelly saved. Cohn's second shot was the lone one on goal for the Bombers. Less than three minutes into the second half, Schoen attempted the first shot for both teams, but his shot in the 48th minute went wide. Once again, Ithaca's defense came up with a block in the 53rd minute, stopping a Jake Kaufman ball to keep things scoreless. The Bombers attempted three more shots in the second half. Max Barish's attempt went over the goal while first-year Theo Scott's ball was wide to the right. Jon Kyriakidis' shot in the 70th minute was then blocked by a Cortland defender. With just over two minutes left to go in regulation, the Red Dragons had a chance to win it, recording back-to-back shots, but Lichtenstein was there to stop the first shot and the second from Jake Keller was too high. Statistically, Cortland out-shot the Bombers 16-7, with six of those shots coming in the overtime periods. Cortland also registered four corner kicks while IC had three. In the net, Lichtenstein finished with three saves, while Kelly had one. The Bombers are back in action on Saturday afternoon when they travel to Elmira for a 3 p.m. contest. Next Tuesday, September 11, IC closes out a three-game road stretch with a 5 p.m. match at Hamilton. "We've begun the season well and look forward to getting back to work tomorrow to prepare for Saturday at Elmira," said Dezotell.